If You Want to Sing Out, Sing Out

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Not-So-Thai Peanut Chicken

My husband and I love Thai food. That is to say, we love the Thai food we've had in America which, I can imagine, hardly counts as authentic Thai. But we love it all the same.

So, that said, there is a dish, originally called "Thai Peanut Chicken" that my mother discovered on www.allrecipes.com several years ago. I believe I was about 18 at the time and only just discovering that vegetables weren't the devil. So, my mom made this dish and, to everyone's shock and amusement, I loved it. I devoured it. 

Over the years, with many opportunities to succeed and fail at cooking, especially after going to college, living on my own, and getting married, I believe I've finally mastered this dish and it is one of my very favorites. I have taken to calling it "Not-So-Thai Peanut Chicken," however. I do not want to humiliate myself by calling it Thai, should I ever happen to make this dish for an actual "Thailander" and they laugh at me and call me "คนโง่" - which is Thai for "fool." 

So, without further ado...

Not-So-Thai Peanut Chicken

Serves: 4
Calories per serving: 483 (with 1 serving long grain white rice)

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
3/4 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger root
1/4 cup chopped scallions (green onions) (I use mostly just the white ends because they hold most of the flavor)
2-3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
1 red or green bell pepper, sliced 
1 1/2 cup broccoli florets 
1/4 cup unsalted, dry-roasted peanuts 
4 servings of white rice (or brown, if you prefer) (follow package instructions)

Sauce :
4 tablespoons of soy sauce
4 (hefty) tablespoons of creamy peanut butter
2 tablespoons of white wine vinegar 
1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper (use more for spicier, less for mild)
 
Instructions:

1) Begin cooking rice first according to package instructions (I use long grain white rice and I have a rice cooker that cooks it all for me perfectly. I highly recommend investing in a rice cooker! Here's one that I recommend.)

2) In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, peanut butter, vinegar, and cayenne pepper until mixed well and set aside.

3) In a large skillet or wok, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, ginger, and scallions. Cook for 1-2 minutes or until garlic has softened.

4) Add the chicken and cook until golden on the outside (about 5 minutes).

5) Add the broccoli, bell pepper, and peanuts and stir until vegetables begin to soften a little (3-5 minutes).

6) Add the sauce mixture and stir until well combined. Cook, stirring frequently, until broccoli and peppers are tender and chicken is cooked through (about 5 minutes).

7) Serve over rice and die of happiness!

*Please don't actually die, but do be happy.

Mangia!

No comments:

Post a Comment

***If you want to comment and you don't already have an account or don't want to register for one, just comment under "Anonymous" OR "Name/URL." For Name/URL, you can just put your name and leave the URL part blank if you want! Thanks!***